Often you will need to gather some background information on your topic before you decide on a narrower focus. Ask yourself:
- What do I already know?
- What do I need to find out?
- What information would help me answer my questions?
Initially, you may want to read some general resources to gain a better understanding of your topic. Then, you can narrow your search by asking yourself:
- What keywords can I use to search?
- What synonyms, broader or narrower terms, or related ideas could I use?
- Will proper names (people or places) focus my search?