Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Break your research down into parts; find your information in this order:
- Background information on the colonized nation
- Background information on the imperial power and colonization process
- The immediate and long-term impact of imperialism on the colonized nation (economic, social, political, environmental)
- Primary sources
Your search terms will obviously vary depending on which part of your research you are working on. Don't stick to the same search terms. Remember, in databases you can't search the same way you would via a Google search. Databases won't follow a search sentence, but they WILL rely on multiple search terms.
Try different search strategies:
- For example: legacy French Imperialism Vietnam
- For example: French empire or French imperialism
- Try searching the commodity that the imperial power was looking for: rubber, oil, diamonds, etc.
- For primary sources, try "French imperialism" "primary sources" (in a google search only; in a database you will have to be very specific and search by specific name or event).
Online Sources for Country Information
ABC-CLIO Modern World History
Remember, this database is good for general overview information, primary sources, and images. Other databases, like SIRS or Gale World History in Context, will give you more in-depth info from a wider variety of sources.
Gale World History in Context
Pay attention to the types of information available here; start with reference articles, for example, and then move into scholarly articles.
This is a good database to search for the current situation in many countries.
History Study Center
Great database for primary sources (documents, maps, images, etc.) and scholarly articles.
Use this database to find newspaper articles from the late 1800's and early 1900's from such publications as The New York Times, The Guardian Observer (from England), and The Times of India.
General Imperialism Websites
How to Write Your Proposal